Bruce L. Waterhouse
Phone: (216) 621-7227
Bruce Waterhouse serves the diverse needs of privately-held businesses and nonprofit organizations operating in a variety of industries and service areas, including manufacturing, commercial construction, alternative energy, economic development, and higher education. Mr. Waterhouse’s practice includes forming corporations, limited liability companies, and general and limited liability partnerships; negotiating and documenting M&A transactions and entity reorganizations; and counseling management regarding a broad range of regulatory and risk-minimization matters, such as environmental compliance, consumer product safety, and federal and state regulatory programs. Mr. Waterhouse also has broad experience in complex real estate matters, including buy/sell agreements, financings, lease arrangements, construction contracting, title disputes, foreclosures, mineral and oil & gas exploration rights, tax exemption applications, conservation easements, and remediation of environmental contamination.
Principal Practice Areas
- General Corporate Counseling
- Commercial Relationships and Contracts
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Protection of Intellectual Property
- Real Estate Transactions, Leasing, Taxation and Litigation
- Remediation of Contamination and Cost Recovery
- Environmental Compliance
- Creditors’ Rights
- Organization of for-profit and nonprofit corporations and limited liability companies.
- Documentation of a variety of commercial transactions and relationships, including supply, confidentiality, and non-compete agreements, joint ventures, secured credit agreements, and intellectual property licenses.
- Counsel clients concerning consumer product safety laws impacting the manufacture and sale of children’s products and the reporting and recall of defective consumer products.
- Representation of owners and construction contractors with respect to contract negotiations, claims actions, and mechanics liens.
- Lease, acquisition, and divestiture of single-family and multi-family residential, office, commercial, and industrial facilities.
- Representation of buyers and sellers in transactions involving asset pools, operating divisions, LLC membership interests, and corporate stock.
- Counsel and represent nonprofit organizations on matters of governance, risk management, charitable solicitation, compliance, and tax exemption.
- Counsel clients concerning compliance obligations and potential liabilities under federal and state environmental laws, including the clean-up of and cost recovery for contamination from underground storage tanks, remediation of brownfields, and the assessment and abatement of asbestos, radon, lead paint, and mold in buildings.
- Representation of creditors in a variety of bankruptcy, foreclosure, and distressed debtor proceedings.
- Washington College of Law, American University (J.D. 1982; cum laude)
- University of Michigan (B.S., Natural Resources 1977; with distinction)