John B. MoenkAssociate
- Email John B. Moenk ›
John Moenk practices primarily in the areas of business and school law. As an associate in the school law practice group, John regularly attends board meetings and advises schools on all legal, regulatory and compliance matters. John also works directly with parents to assist them on educational issues that may arise with their children.
Before practicing law, John worked in special education, first as an educator and then as a school principal in Parma, Ohio. John also served as program director for the Acute Partial Hospitalization Programs for the Barber National Institute in Erie, Pennsylvania, which serves children and adults with intellectual disabilities and behavioral health challenges. This background gives John a unique perspective to understand, evaluate, and efficiently address the issues facing schools and parents.
John also provides legal counsel to small business owners and their executives and assists the attorneys who lead the firm’s municipal law practice.
Principal practice areas
- Business and corporate law
- School law, including special education, IEPs (individualized education programs), 504 plans, due process and discipline disputes including suspensions and expulsions
- Public sector law – civil and prosecutorial
- Negotiation of commercial real estate leases for publicly held companies
- Advising charter school boards on compliance and operational matters
- Counseling schools and families on IEP matters including writing, implementation, and supervision of student IEPs
- Drafting ETRs (evaluation team reports) and participation in ETR meetings
- Representation of municipalities in both litigation and nonlitigation matters
- Ohio Supreme Court (2020)
Career and educational background
- Associate, Nicola, Gudbranson & Cooper (2020-present)
- University of Akron School of Law (JD, 2020)
- Principal, STEPS Academy, Parma, Ohio (2015-2018)
- Program Director, Barber National Institute (2014-2015)
- Cleveland State University (M.ED, 2009)
- Mount Union College (BA, communications, 2006)