The employment law attorneys at Nicola, Gudbranson & Cooper (NGC) help business and corporate clients reduce employment-related risks by emphasizing a proactive workforce management system.
Employment advice and audits
Employment-related claims and complaints to local, state and federal agencies can put a strain on company resources in terms of time, money and lost productivity, not to mention the additional expense incurred if a complaint evolves into a lawsuit. NGC’s business lawyers take a proactive approach with our clients, reviewing and analyzing company policies and human resources practices to ensure legal compliance and minimize the possibility of disputes arising in the first place. If litigation does arise, the business will have the documentation and procedures in place to competently defend itself.
- Employment applications
- Human resources policies
- Job descriptions
- State and federal law compliance
Management of personnel issues
Dealing closely with corporate management and human resources departments can help resolve workplace issues within a framework that protects the inherent managerial rights of the employer to make decisions in the best interests of the company. We work with business owners and governmental entities to establish effective tools for communicating and documenting employer expectations.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodation and compliance
- Drug testing issues
- Employee handbooks
- Employee and supervisor training
- Employment practices audits
- Executive and physician compensation
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and other leave issues
- Harassment and discrimination claim investigations
- U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidance and compliance
- Reductions in force
- Separation agreements
- Teacher contract development and negotiation
- Wage and hour compliance
- Whistleblower issues
- Workplace injuries and intentional tort defense
- Wrongful termination claims
Help Desk – flat monthly fee
Most small businesses cannot afford their own in-house general counsel to advise them on a daily basis, yet as employers they face the same issues as major corporations regarding wages, hours, fringe benefits and other terms and conditions of employment. The Help Desk at NGC is designed to provide ready access and answers for small and medium-sized businesses on a cost-effective basis, enabling them to move forward with peace of mind.
- Answers to common employment questions
- Payment on a flat monthly fee basis
Although litigation avoidance is central to NGC’s business-oriented approach, employment litigation is a fact of life, and the employment litigation team at NGC is well-versed in obtaining cost-effective results in courts and before administrative bodies. We routinely represent employers in all types of employment claims and litigation.
- Discrimination litigation pertaining to age, gender, disability, race and religious affiliation
- Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC) hearings
- Sexual harassment litigation
- Theft of trade secrets
- Unemployment compensation hearings
- Wrongful discharge claims
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) hearings